Forever Designer Interview: Simply Kelly Designs
Welcome to the seventh Forever Designer Interview! Each month we sit down with a different designer, and ask them what it’s like to be a digital artist. To start the new year, we’re speaking with Simply Kelly's Kelly Hedgespeth.
1. How did you get started as a designer, and for how long have you been doing this? My husband is an avid runner. When I started digital scrapbooking, I couldn’t find a running themed digital scrapbook kit so I decided to create my own. I took an introduction to digital design class and Simply Kelly Designs officially started in June of 2010.
2. Do you draw inspiration from specific artists or designers? If so, who? I draw inspiration from my own photos and scrapbooking needs.
3. What is your personal design philosophy? Whether designing kits or templates, my designs are clean and simple because I believe that photos and journaling should shine above all the rest on a scrapbook layout.
4. Do you have a personal favorite art kit or series of art kits that you’ve created? My favorite series of templates are my Simple Starters 12x12 Templates 1 to 100. The templates come in sets of 5, bundles of 20 or a bundle of all 100! These templates are so versatile and I’ve used them myself to create at least 30 of my own digital layouts. I love them because they can be used for single page layouts or you can combine any two of them to create a two page layout.
5. Do you have any advice for someone out there who may want to be a designer themselves? My advice is to find your style and be true to it.
6. What do you like to do for fun, or in your spare time? I love to read, scrapbook and craft. My friends all know how excited I get when discussing a book. I started scrapbooking when I got married and I’ve documented every step of my family’s life since then. My favorite crafting tool is my Silhouette Portrait electronic die cutter. The crafts I create are usually gifts for family or friends.